Top 12 Free Screen Recorders for Windows, Mac, Mobile and Online
If you want to record a quick screen video, using a free screen recorder is a good choice. It is free and simple to use. You don't need to spend time on complicated screen recording functions. Just activate its video or audio recorder to capture what is going on with your digital device. Though you don't need to pay for screen video and audio recording, it is still important to choose a powerful free screen recorder. You can get better result with half effort or even less. Here're top 12 best free screen recording tools for desktop and mobile users. Just read and choose any free screen recorder according to the following descriptions.
Free Screen Recorder
Part 1: Top 12 Free Screen Recorders
There are all kinds of free screen recorders. You can get online, offline and portable screen video recorders for screen recording.
Top 1: 4VideoSoft Free Online Screen Capture
4VideoSoft Free Online Screen Capture is a totally free screen video recorder for Windows and Mac. You can screen capture video from any region with internal and external audio. Moreover, you can create a picture-in-picture scene to record screen video with webcam. There is no recording time limit. You can free record video and audio online for free all the time. Later, you can save or share your recording file flexibly.
- 1. Record online video and desktop activity with full screen, specific window or selected region.
- 2. Screen capture video with system sound and microphone audio.
- 3. Add webcam overlay into your video recording file.
- 4. Download the recorded video automatically.
- 5. Share your recording file to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and more directly.
Or you can upgrade to its full version – 4VideoSoft Screen Capture to unlock more advanced features. In spite of the above mentioned functions, you can get something different from the professional screen recorder software.
- Add annotations while recording, such as text, line, arrow, callout, mouse effect and more.
- Trim the recording video or audio with any start and stop time.
- Set a trimmer to schedule the entire screen recording process.
- Change the output video format, quality, frame rate, path and other preferences.
- Use custom hotkeys to control the screen video recording.
Top 2: OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a popular game recording software for Windows, Mac and Linux. You can use the screen recorder freeware to record not only gameplay, but also other video and audio activities. There is no time limit. You can record a video on your computer as long as you can.
- 1. Record screen video with audio on multiplatform for free.
- 2. Support HD streaming and recording.
- 3. The free screen recorder software can record from your graphic cards directly.
Top 3: Free Cam
Free Cam is a simple screen video recorder and editor with no ads or watermark. You can record your computer's screen and save as WMV format. There is no webcam recording support. So you cannot record yourself while record desktop screen video at the same time.
- 1. Record screen video as WMV or share it to YouTube directly.
- 2. Add voiceover and computer sound into your screen video recording
- 3. Apply audio effects within the free screen recorder with audio.
Top 4: Screencast-O-Matic
Screencast-O-Matic provides not only standalone screen recorder, but also screen recorder extension for Chrome. You can record video and audio clips on your computer no more than 15 minutes. Later, you can save, share or upload your recording file to the cloud.
- 1. Screencast is a free screen recorder app for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Chromebook.
- 2. Record, edit and share video clips less than 15 minutes in length.
- 3. You can zoom while recording using Screencast-O-Matic.
Top 5: ShareX
ShareX is a free and open source screen recorder for Windows 11/10/8.1/7. There are many capture methods and after capture tasks you can get from ShareX. Moreover, you can apply annotation tools into your screen recording file.
- 1. Screen capture computer video with full screen, window, scrolling, freehand or more.
- 2. Add custom watermark or color effects based on your need.
- 3. Support many URL and social media sharing methods.
Top 6: Tinytake
TinyTake allows users to capture images and videos with commentary. MP4 is the only output video format. You can record a video up to 5 minutes. The recorded video and captured image can be uploaded into the built-in TinyTake cloud-based gallery.
- 1. Store TinyTake recording video in the cloud.
- 2. Assign shortcuts to control video recording.
- 3. Share your recorded video via a link.
Top 7: Ezvid
Ezvid is a free screen recorder and video editor for Windows. It can also be your instant slideshow maker. You can record screen video and take screenshots on Windows for free. Later, you can share the video to YouTube directly.
- 1. Record HD screen video with audio from your Windows computer.
- 2. Adjust the video playback speed.
- 3. Add music into your video recording file.
Top 8: Windows 11/10 Game Bar
Windows 11/10 has the default gameplay recording feature, which is called Game Bar. You can use Windows Game Bar to record gameplay and other activities on your computer. However, this free screen recorder does not with Windows 8 and Windows 7 versions.
- 1. Record the last 30 seconds of gameplay.
- 2. Use hotkeys to control the entire screen recording process.
- 3. Upload your recording video to Xbox Live.
Top 9: ScreenFlow
ScreenFlow can be your free screen recorder for Mac software as well. It is true that ScreenFlow is a non-linear video editing program. But you can also get the screen recording feature. Thus, you can record and edit video with ScreenFlow in one stop.
- 1. Record your iPhone or iPad's screen with ScreenFlow.
- 2. Animate titles, logos and more with the built-in video editing tools.
- 3. Add transitions, annotations and other recording effects within ScreenFlow.
Top 10: Screencastify
Screencastify is a free screen recorder extension for Chrome. You can record the browser tab, desktop screen and webcam video within Screencastify. With the support of integrations, you can share your recording file to Google Drive or YouTube directly.
- 1. Use mouse spotlight or highlight during screen recording.
- 2. Save the recorded video as MP4, GIF or other popular formats.
- 3. The Screencastify free screen recorder Chrome extension can work offline.
Top 11: Loom
Loom is a free screen recorder for Mac, Windows, iOS and Chrome. You can get fast recording, easy editing and instant sharing within the free screen recording software. Furthermore, you can narrate with front-facing camera and computer screen easily by using Loom.
- 1. Record desktop video with audio and webcam based on your need.
- 2. Edit your video with trimming, call-to-action and custom thumbnail.
- 3. Share a Loom recording video via a link.
Top 12: Bandicam Free Screen Recorder
Bandicam Free Screen Recorder has a free version, which allows users to record video with a watermark. The Bandicam Free Screen Recorder for Windows allows users to capture any area on your computer. You can make a screen recording video with audio for free on Windows.
- 1. Make your screen capture of your Windows computer's screen with audio.
- 2. Add annotations and webcam into the desktop screen recording video.
- 3. Draw and outline your recording video in real time.
Part 2: FAQs of Free Screen Recorders
Is free screen recorder safe?
Yes. Just go to the official site to download the package. There is no malware or spyware. If you are not sure, you can install any antivirus software to solve the problem.
Is there any free screen recorder for iPhone?
iOS 11 and later versions have the default screen recording function. You can record iPhone screen video and audio for free. As for iOS 10 and earlier users, you can use a free screen recorder app, such as Airshou, Vidyo, BB Recorder, iRec and more.
Can you record a video that is protected?
Yes. You can use third-party screen recorder software to record your screen with sound successfully. Almost all programs cannot block screen recording or notify others. Thus, free screen recorder software is quite helpful to record online video and audio calls secretly.
All in all, you can get 12 different free screen recorders for PC, Mac, online and other platforms. No matter which one you choose, you can record video and audio on your digital device with ease. If you still have questions about free screen video recorders, you can feel free to contact us. Or you can share us your screen recording experience in the comments below.